I think the biggest challenge of clean eating is still finding ways to have your treats, especially if you have a sweet tooth like me! It is possible though – it just takes a bit more time & effort.
As chocolate is a big favourite of ours, (and most peoples I think to be fair!) this clean mousse recipe is a popular one, good for when that chocolate craving hits you. The great thing about this dessert too is that it actually has health benefits – the good fats are great for your skin and the cacao powder is full of antioxidants, which prevent disease and are anti-aging. The fact that it’s made with natural sweeteners also means that it doesn’t give that sugar slump afterwards and it doesn’t mess with your insulin the way refined sugars do.
It does contain fats, but they are the healthy fats that experts say actually help promote weight loss, by burning the bad fats and boosting your metabolism. And with the goodness it contains its not just empty calories – its giving you nutrients and keeping you full and satisfied thanks to the avocado and protein from the nuts.
So you want the recipe?!
This is the one we use, which we have adapted from the Deliciously Ella Blog one.
We usually just make it to our own tastes so you can vary the measurements depending on how bitter/sweet you like it etc.
– Half an avocado (and a teaspoon of coconut oil if you like it extra silky)
– 2/3 dates (soaked in warm water)
– 2/3 tablespoons of cacao powder (we use the Irish Iswari brand)
– 2 teaspoons of xylitol or coconut palm sugar
– A splash of almond milk (or regular milk if you don’t have any)
– Crushed/ Roasted nuts (hazelnuts, pecans walnuts almonds)
– Raisins & dried cranberries
* You can also add peanut butter if you’re a fan or some shavings of a high cocoa content dark chocolate (we use a 70% one we get in Lidl)
Then just simply blend together the ingredients with a hand blender or in a food processor. Warning though! – it can splatter if you use a hand blender so use a deep dish to avoid this!Roast the nuts and sprinkle them on top along with the fruit and chocolate shavings
We hope you enjoy!
Let us know if you decide to try it!